Soya - Information about Soy and Soya Products
SoyQuick Soy Milk Maker
This soy milk maker is very popular in the USA and Canada. The SoyQuick is a medium sized soy milk maker, consisting of a stainless steel boiling container, which has a white plastic handle and bottom. The soy milk making process is controlled by a microcomputer. The filter consists of a stainless steel mesh filter which is easily screwed on the head of the machine (it screws on anti-clockwise, direction LOCK is mentioned on cup). The soybeans can be put in the filter cup beforehand or through a special opening (feeding window) in the head of the soy milk maker. The grinding knife consists of 2 blades and is attached to the head. The heating is done by a heater element, which is attached to the head. The SoyQuick has three buttons: one for milling (MOTOR), one for heating only (HEATER) and for making automatically soy milk (START). We only tested this soy milk maker for producing soy milk, but the machine can also make rice milk, almond milk and more.
Included with the SoyQuick are a portion of Laura soybeans (enough to make one batch of soy milk), a DVD (with instructions for making soy milk, tofu and recipes), a tofu press, tofu coagulator, a measuring cup (holding 100 g dry soybeans), a cleaning brush, a scrub sponge and a special cleaning powder.
The SoyQuick is very similar to the SoyaJoy but not the same. The main difference is that safety warnings and level indicators are printed or stamped on the SoyQuick but are on removable labels on the SoyaJoy. Both machines have now a coated circuit board and same internal seal to extend life expediency.
Operating instructionsThese are the operating instructions as described by the manufacturer of the SoyQuick.
- Fill the plastic measuring cup with dry soybeans. In a large bowl, wash the soybeans thoroughly and rinse with fresh water. Repeat three times until water is clear. Cover the soybeans with 2-3 inches of water ad soak 8-10 hours at room temperature. Soaking overnight is most convenient. After soaking, be sure to wash your soybeans thoroughly.
- Fill the jug with water up to the maximum water level.
- Place the soaked soybeans directly into the filter cup and re-attach the filter cup to the machine head.
- Position the SoyQuick head onto the jug with the contact power switch resting on the rim and not placed in the pour spout area and the the soy milk maker in a safe area.
- Attach the power cord to the SoyQuick. The appliance will beep and the power indicator light will be green.
- Press only the START button. The soy milk maker will automatically start the cycle. The process takes 13-15 minutes. Multiple audio beeps with flashing power light indicate that the cycle is completed.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet first and then from the SoyQuick. Remove the machine head from the jug and discharge the pulp. Clean the heater element, the inside of the jug and the filter cup. Very detailed instructions to clean the SoyQuick are mentioned in the manual.
Test resultsFor this test, 105 g dry soybeans were used in 1400 ml cold water.
- Mixing temperature. The temperature at which the first milling will start should be high enough to avoid beany taste. We tested by using cold (15°C) and warm (35°C) water. In both cases, the milling started at a temperature of respectively 80°C and 81°C. This means that a thermostat correctly controls the start of the milling.
- Yield of soy milk.
The strength of the soy milk is 4.3% dissolved solids and total quantity is 1341 ml. The soy milk contains about 12% suspended matter, mainly fine okara. Total yield calculated from these figures is 54%, which is good.
The taste of the milk produced by the SoyQuick is good and comparable to commercial soymilk without additives (such as salt and sugar).
It is easy to clean this soy milk maker. Most of the heating takes place before grinding process so there is nearly no build up of dirt on the heater element. You can actually wipe it clean with a damp paper towel. It is important to flush the filter cup immediately after use and before allowing it to cool. The parts of the head that get dirty can be flushed under streaming water.
- High yield of soy milk.
- Large quantity of soymilk per batch.
- The SoyQuick looks nice.
- Feeding window makes loading of soybeans easy.
- Easy to dismantle and clean.
- Quality finishing
- Machine comes with a very illustrative DVD.
- High pulp content of soy milk.