soya
Soya  -  Information about Soy and Soya Products
Home Soy Foods Reviews Soya Health Soya Recipes Soy Candles

Soy candles
Soy is also used as renewable ingredient for non-food products, such as soy candles and biofuel. Soy candles produce less soot than paraffin candles and burn longer.
animated soy candle

RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   LoginLogin 
Phosphoric acid in soft drinks

Soya.be Forum Index -> Other health effects
Erik

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 9:29 am 
Phosphoric acid in soft drinks

The United States National Academy of Sciences has increased the daily recommened intake of calcium from 800 mg to 1200 mg. Why? In the Western world a lot of :evil: coke (Coca Cola, Pepsi, ...) is drunk. This drink contains a lot of phosphoric acid, which is added to give coke that typical acid taste. But phosphoric acid binds with the calcium and makes it very difficult to assimilate. So why should one try to compensate the bad effects of one food with the increase of consumption of other unhealthy (dairy) products?

Last edited by Erik on Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total

me

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:48 pm 
coke

Urban legends have got the best of the worst and now the rest of us suffer. Do the math people. Stomach acid is way more "dangerous" than any cola on the market. Most lemons and oranges equal the acidity of a cola. Phosphorus is in every cell in the human body and we need it. Maybe not from a questionable source, but still, get a clue.

new science

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:09 pm 
phosphoric acid OD

Try drinking several colored soda's a day for a week, and monitor yourself for muscle twitching (i.e. eyelid, bicept, etc..). a few years ago, a researcher overheard me talking about eye and muscle twitches (which I had for 20 years as a hard core soda drinker), and suggested I cut out colored soda's due to my body reacting to the Phos accumulation.. haven't twitched since..

pazman

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:32 am 
coca-cola

There is no way that the human body requires the daily ingestion of coca-cola. Remember what coke is a substitute for? WATER!!! Drink a 6 oz. glass of this wonderful substance at least eight times a day and you will be amazed at the results... clear skin, happy disposition, weight loss and no more cravings for things that are not good for you!!!

dAmE.JaNe

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:17 am 

Let's see, I have to agree with the person that said that stomach acid is more dangerous. Did you know you get more phosphorus out of cheese? In addition the whole dissolve a tooth in 10 days issue.. My question is who in the world is soaking their teeth in phosphoric acid for ten days? Even still, since cola products are liquid, they pass through the urnine system within a couple hours to a day. Sorry but I don't find those tests valid when it comes to human phsiology.

Also, the FDA has approved it, and it has been proven that the human body does need certain amounts of phosphorus and aids in bone strength.

That's my thought's for phosphoric acid. And if you're really concerned about it, Pepsi has more phosphoric acid in it than Coca-Cola. The percentage value for Coke is .000341% and Pepsi is .0003926% (I did the titration experiment myself icon_biggrin.gif)

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:18 am 

By the way, here is an article I found on the net to help you guys decide:
Quote:

Phosphoric Acid
A small amount of phosphoric acid is added to our soft drinks. However, it is greatly diluted and is fully approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in soft drinks. Phosphoric acid provides tartness, essential to a well-rounded flavor.

Although some published articles have suggested a link between phosphorus intake and calcium loss; studies have shown that even a high phosphorus intake has no effect on overall calcium balance. In fact recent reports suggest that if large amounts of calcium are taken, for example by taking calcium supplements, it is necessary to increase phosphorus intake to maintain bone health.

Phosphorus, like calcium, is an essential mineral in bone. It is widely distributed in the food supply, including fish, milk, meat, eggs and cereal grains. Soft drinks, however, are not a significant source of phosphorus in the diet, generally contributing only two to four percent of the daily dietary phosphorus intake. For example, one cup of milk contains 250 mg of phosphorus while an equivalent amount of cola contains no more than 48 to 56 mg. The U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance of phosphorus for adequate nutrition is 800 mg per day.
For more information on phosphoric acid in soft drinks, you may wish to contact the following organizations:
? National Soft Drink Association in Washington, D.C. at (202) 463-6732 or www.nsda.org.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:04 pm 

Well, about that article that was posted, It is from the national soft drink association, do you actually think they would say something wrong with the phosphoric acid in soft drinks on their web site???

After a study suggested a link between soft drinks and kidney stones, researchers conducted an intervention trial.40 That trial involved 1,009 men who had suffered kidney stones and drank at least 5 1/3 ounces of soda pop per day. Half the men were asked to refrain from drinking pop, while the others were not asked. Over the next three years drinkers of Coca-Cola and other cola beverages acidified only with phosphoric acid who reduced their consumption (to less than half their customary levels) were almost one-third less likely to experience recurrence of stones. Among those who usually drank soft drinks acidified with citric acid (with or without phosphoric acid), drinking less had no effect. While more research needs to be done on the cola-stone connection, the NIDDK includes cola beverages on a list of foods that doctors may advise patients to avoid.

here is an educated research done impartially, that shows what phosphoric acid is capaple of, Also statistically the average consumer of soft drinks has more than one can a day, which means the risks are much higher

www.cspinet.org/sodapop/liquid_candy.htm

why should i

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:34 pm 
sad foolish little soya eaters

why r u soya people so sad, coke is nice, why dont u shut up.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:37 am 
phosphoric acid

I had to put in my 2 cents. We do not need to worry about phosphorus deficiency as it is very abundant in most foods. The issue with phosphoric acid as I understand it is not about phosporus but about its acidic pH. It lowers the pH of the blood dramatically resulting in calcium being leached from your bones in order to bring the blood ph back to its normal alkaline pH. Healthy blood is alkaline about 7.4 pH. Bad food makes acid blood and allows disease to flourish. Basic natural health theory. Phosphoric acid is used in hydroponics to disolve calcium and magnesium deposits in nutrient distribution lines and lower pH of hard water. In addition large amounts of sugar in pop displace nutrients in our diet by providing empty calories.

Ashley_Ellsworth

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:41 pm 
Keep It The Way It Is

I think we sould keep the phosphorus Acid in the soft drinks because there is really nothing wrong with it the way it is. All it does is give you a strange feeling when you drink a soft drink that has phosphorus Acid in it. icon_lol.gif It feels all bubbly in your mouth ones it gets in and when you drink to much this wierd feeling comes out from your nose and then you always burp. icon_lol.gif I always find this stuff funny when it happens because I like to hear what people say when the wierd feeling happens in thier nose and if we take the Phophorus Acid out of soft drinks then what is to it when you can't have fun with those kinds of drinks anymore? icon_question.gif
All im saying is that we should keep it the way it is!!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif icon_lol.gif icon_surprised.gif icon_smile.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_cool.gif icon_razz.gif icon_exclaim.gif
-Ashley Ellsworth
-Age 13
-Cumberland, Maine
P.S. e-mail me if you have commentsor questions

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:42 pm 

I think we sould keep the phosphorus Acid in the soft drinks because there is really nothing wrong with it the way it is. All it does is give you a strange feeling when you drink a soft drink that has phosphorus Acid in it. It feels all bubbly in your mouth ones it gets in and when you drink to much this wierd feeling comes out from your nose and then you always burp. I always find this stuff funny when it happens because I like to hear what people say when the wierd feeling happens in thier nose and if we take the Phophorus Acid out of soft drinks then what is to it when you can't have fun with those kinds of drinks anymore?
All im saying is that we should keep it the way it is!!!!!!!!
-Ashley Ellsworth
-Age 13
-Cumberland, Maine
P.S. e-mail me if you have commentsor questions
soccerbaby4lyf@hotmail.com

vivian

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:23 pm 
Re: coca-cola

[quote="pazman"]There is no way that the human body requires the daily ingestion of coca-cola. Remember what coke is a substitute for? WATER!!! Drink a 6 oz. glass of this wonderful substance at least eight times a day and you will be amazed at the results... clear skin, happy disposition, weight loss and no more cravings for things that are not good for you!!![/quote]

sorry man! i juz want to let u knw that there is no benefif at alll by taking soft drink, n initial study indicated that soft drinks contained of high level of sweeter which will convert to a substance called hydroxymethylfurfural that will cause damage to our liver ok.

vivian

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:34 pm 

[quote="pazman"]There is no way that the human body requires the daily ingestion of coca-cola. Remember what coke is a substitute for? WATER!!! Drink a 6 oz. glass of this wonderful substance at least eight times a day and you will be amazed at the results... clear skin, happy disposition, weight loss and no more cravings for things that are not good for you!!![/quote]

sorry man! i juz want to let u knw that there is no benefif at alll by taking BEVERAGE, n initial study indicated that BEVERAGES contained of high level of sweeter which will convert to a substance called hydroxymethylfurfural that will cause damage to our liver ok.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:38 am 

Quote:
sorry man! i juz want to let u knw that there is no benefif at alll by taking BEVERAGE, n initial study indicated that BEVERAGES contained of high level of sweeter which will convert to a substance called hydroxymethylfurfural that will cause damage to our liver ok.

Just so you know, Hydroxymethylfurfural is present in anything that has sugar in it. That includes honey, fruits and vegetables. It is a product of the natural breakdown of sugars. Is it good for you? No. Is it going to kill you? Not really. Oh, and there is a benefit to drinking soda... it tastes good.

Just because a chemical has a scary sounding name doesn't mean it's going to kill you. Look into the fear and reactions brought about by people reading about the dangers of "dihydrogen monoxide." Just check out www.dhmo.org for some examples. Then realize that dihydrogen monoxide is H2O: water.

wisemom

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:47 pm 

mama, If you're really nice maybe the host will remove your embarassing comment. dihydrogen monoxide is H2O or water in it's purest form. Ask a scientist.

wisemom

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:09 pm 

Also, ONE soda a day is probably not going to cause a lot of damage. Just make sure it is not diet, or containing aspartame, sucralose, saccharine,caffiene, or dyes... hmmmm does that leave anything left? Also, keep drinking water and real fruit juice - not the fruit "drinks". And take a daily vitamin/mineral supplement that contains calcium and magnesium at a 2/1 ratio.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:10 pm 

Cola consumptions seems to be more dangerous for women than men. The study Colas, but not other carbonated beverages, are associated with low bone mineral density in older women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 84, No. 4, 936-942, October 2006) concluded that the intake of cola, but not of other carbonated soft drinks, is associated with low bone mineral density in women. The study involved 1413 women and 1125 men. Dietary intake was assessed by food-frequency questionnaire. Total phosphorus intake was not significantly higher in daily cola consumers than in non-consumers; however, the calcium-to-phosphorus ratios were lower.

Soya.be Forum Index -> Other health effects  
Page 1 of 1

Soy messages - About Soya.be - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy - Copyright 2012 Soya.be