soya
Soya  -  Information about Soy and Soya Products
Home Soy Foods Reviews Soya Health Soya Recipes Soy Candles

Soy candles
Soy is also used as renewable ingredient for non-food products, such as soy candles and biofuel. Soy candles produce less soot than paraffin candles and burn longer.
animated soy candle

RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   LoginLogin 
Disadvantages

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies
   Soya.be Forum Index -> Other health effects
dalagang_bukid

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:27 pm 
Disadvantages

Can someone tell me what are the disadvantages of soya milk?

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:13 pm 
Re: Disadvantages

Anonymous wrote:
dalagang_bukid wrote:

It gives you more farts than lactose does in milk.
It can cause cancer.
It can cause you to have higher levels of estrogen (causing cancer).

Erik

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:02 pm 

Hi "Guest",

Where did you get this information?

Erik

TRY MAD COW !!

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:11 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
dalagang_bukid wrote:

It gives you more farts than lactose does in milk.
It can cause cancer.
It can cause you to have higher levels of estrogen (causing cancer).

icon_exclaim.gif icon_exclaim.gif BULLSHIT icon_exclaim.gif icon_exclaim.gif

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:05 am 
yes ... be carefull

icon_smile.gif icon_surprised.gif

food allergies~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o O o O o O o O

Chelsea

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:32 am 

dalagang_bukid wrote:

The disadvanatges of soymilk are that it is loaded with phytochemicals (most of which are estrogenic and therefore potentially cancer-causing), it?s loaded with phytate (which blocks mineral absorption), it?s loaded with trypsin inhibitors (which inhibit protein digestion) and it is usually loaded with sugar, which increases your chances of getting diabetes.

One_Chick_Army

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:23 pm 
SOY SUCKS

Soy is unhealthy and its in everything. Its almost impossible to find food without soy. What is up with that? icon_eek.gif icon_mad.gif

Trino

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:03 pm 

I drink soy milk every day. The evidence I've seen convinces me it's healthier and more environmentally friendly than cows' milk, on balance. The disadvantages, as far as I'm concerned, are that it's more expensive, it curdles in coffee, and it requires long-distance transport of soybeans.

Of course some people are allergic to it - maybe one in 200 - so its inclusion in processed foods is bad. The same applies to dairy products.

To deal with some of the points raised above:

Bean products do make people fart more, but it's a sign of a healthy digestive system. A vegan diet tends to be lower in sulphur, which makes odours from both ends of the digestive tract less intense, so while the volume goes up, the offensiveness decreases.

Complaining about sugar in soymilk is pointless. It's freely available in both sweetened and unsweetened varieties. The unsweetened varieties are much less sugary than cows' milk, let alone fruit juice or cola.

'Phytochemicals'? 'Phyto' just means 'plant'. Vitamin C is a phytochemical. Dietary fibre is a set of phytochemicals. Fructose is a phytochemical. You could call water a phytochemical. Attempting to blind people with science is not a valid way to argue. Oestrogenic (English spelling) chemicals increase the risks of some cancers, and decrease the risks of others. Pretty much any food (milk very definitely included) has both positive and negative health effects.

An additional disadvantage, which applies more to Americans than Europeans, is the widespread use of genetically modified soybeans. GM crops are environmentally destructive, and in some studies have produced startling negative results on the health of lab animals. In Europe, it's relatively easy to buy guaranteed GM-free food, but in the US I'm told it's not so.

hamakoosha

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:44 pm 

dalagang_bukid wrote:
may b the estrogen like phytochemicals have an antagonising effect on tha action of testosterone hormones in male bodies affecting their fertility????? or incresing the action of estrogen in females increasing the possibility of cancer breast >???? cancer ovaries?>??

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:06 pm 

somebody told me that soy milk causes infertility is that true.

macky

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:00 am 

Dear dalagang_bukid,

Clearly the responses you've seen above tells you more about how far more educated Trino is as compared to everyone else (excluding you, Erik - you seem smart too). Kudos to Trino for using more brain cells than most others!

Soy brought my cholesterol down. I suggest that you do your homework and check out Dr. Mark Messina and his research on soy. He is very thorough on soy and what it does.

As for the nay-sayers, see you on the operating table.

Sana'y mag-isip tayong lahat.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:40 pm 

The primary antioxidants are Phytochemicals, which help our bodies repair themselves and offer us stronger immune systems.

The primary antioxidants are:

Carotenoids - Lycopene, Lutein, Beta-Carotene (greens, orange, yellow)
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Selenium
Anthocyanins (purple & blue)
Carotenoids, like Beta-Carotene, Lutein, Lycopene, Alpha-Carotene, Cryptoxanthin, and Zeaxanthin can lower the risk of cancer and heart disease. Beta-carotene keeps harmful LDL cholesterol from damaging the heart and coronary arteries. These antioxidants can even reverse damage done by certain cancerous cells. Carotenoids also boost immunity.

Lycopene is found in primarily found in Tomatoes and has been linked to a reduced risk of prostate cancer. Make sure the man in your life eats tomatoes (that includes tomato sauce and fresh salsa) every day! It has also been linked to decreasing the risk of heart disease.
Lutein may be the primary antioxidant in preventing blindness, cataracts, and other disorders of the eyes, particularly as we age. Lutein is more readily absorbed when cooked and served with some fat, butter or oil. Lutein can be found in dark leafy greens, and richly colored orange and deep yellow fruits and vegetables (and eggs

Beta-Carotene
converts into Vitamin A (Retinol) by our body
Vitamin A is not an antioxidant; Beta-Carotene is
Vitamin A in huge amounts can be toxic

benefits
prevents cancer
prevents heart disease
boosts immune system

Phytochemicals:

Vitamins C and E work together to protect one another from oxidation. They reduce the risk of some age-related diseases. Vitamin C is also associated with preventing the formation of N-nitroso compounds which are the cancer causing agents from nitrates. We need 400 IU a day so make sure you get these foods in your diet regularly and/or take a vitamin supplement.

Vitamin E
is fat soluble
so therefore needs fat to be absorbed by our bodies
so therefore excess amounts are stored in our fatty tissue and liver
this can cause a risk of toxicity
D-Alpha Tocopherol
benefits
reduces risk of age-related disease
keeps bad cholesterol from sticking to artery walls (therefore reduces heart attack risk)
protects cells from potentially cancer-causing free radicals

Antioxidants help protect our bodies from stress-related illness and the effects stress and aging have on our bodies. The power of Antioxidants can slow the aging process, combat cancer, and prevent heart disease and strokes.

The most powerful antioxidants are phytochemicals. Anthocyanins are the phytochemical that give Blueberries their distinctive rich color. Anthocyanins (purples & blues) are powerful antioxidants!

However, supplements of antioxidants is still in discussion and preliminarily it is advised not to take antioxidant supplements and to instead get these powerful players from foods naturally. While inhaling tobacco smoke causes free radicals to occur in our bodies, smokers actually had an increased risk of cancer with beta-carotene supplements. Studies indicate that supplements of beta carotene should not be taken and instead we should get this value from the foods we eat.

While regular exercise can enhance our antioxidant defense system, excessive sporadic exercise can increase free radicals in our system. So moderation and consistency are key.

Supplements are not a substitute for a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables. And there is a risk of excessive amounts with supplements and too much of a good thing is not necessarily better and can sometimes be toxic. There is no evidence that the compounds found in recommended fruits and vegetables are harmful. Foods work in balance with their nutrient and healthful composition. A supplement or pill cannot do this. So eat a healthy and varied diet and be sure to eat some Tomatoes, Brazil Nuts, Blueberries, Fish, Kiwi, and Broccoli each week.

www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/soy.htm

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:01 am 

Soy milk contains allot of antioxidants and vitamins which are good for the body in small amounts. This doesn't mean drinking large amounts is bad, as the body will get rid of anything too detrimental to its health.

Phytochemicals are not vitamins, proteins, fats or carbs. They come from plants and are used to trap sunlight for the light dependant stage of photosynthesis which occur in the chloroplasts stroma (Photosynthetic pigments). They can be converted into vitamins as said by the previous guest. Some phytochemicals have been shown to stimulate the immune system against cancer, although I don't know the specifics.

Soy milk does not have cholesterol, which is good and bad. Cholesterol is a precursor to many hormones.

I didn't know soy milk contained any trypsin inhibitors but any trace amounts probably aren't too bad for you. The proteins contained by soy milk are actually more easily absorbed by the body.

I don't like soy milk, personally hate the stuff, but it isn?t bad for you. Everything has its disadvantages. If you drink one drink a day apparently your risk of cancer goes up by half the amount as being exposed to by an atomic bomb (Statistics is a pseudoscience!). Just don't feed soy milk to babies.

mawar_pink 19

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:22 am 

dear dalagang bukid,why ask too many question ??are you farezzzz

amy

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:28 pm 

After reading this forum, i'm none the wiser.
Everything contradicts itself.

Soya causes cancer, soya prevents cancer??

I'd like to know what the real answer is, because as my mum has just recently changed her diet from dairy to prevent her cancer coming back, we are now panicked that the soya products we eat are actually going to make things worse.

And if anyone has got their information from a spam email, i do not want to read your negative crap.

Hildegard

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:34 pm 

Scientific studies show that consumption of soy and its components (protein, isoflavones, phytic acid and saponins) reduce the risk of cancer. You can do your own research of scientific studies, which you can find at http://www.pubmed.gov

Do a search for: soy&cancer, isoflavones&cancer or saponins&cancer. You will find hundreds of studies!

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:31 pm 
Soy rots for your body

I agree soy food products are environmentally healthier than dairy products. They prevent the industries that utilize soy for manufacturing from having to dump the unwanted protein and milky waste that would otherwise be added to the environment. This way they can resell their waste products to "food producers", who use it to stretch their products, and feed it to us unsuspecting brain-washed consumers. "Oh, but it's so good for you", touts our government that really has only the interests of industry and the economy at heart. Just because only 1 in 200 are physically aware (have complete mind/body connection) that it's "hormone-like" properties are detrimental to our bodies (allergy and intollerance), doesn't make it healthful or safe for human consumption. Want to protect against cancer? Try anti-oxidant rich natural things like berries, tomatoes, and goji berries.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:03 am 
Concerning the Soy issue...

Hey,

I do not have much knowledge on this issue however I have read this horrific
articles on worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327 .

I honestly do not know whether to believe it or not. I started to drink soymilk with my cereals in the morning because I thought it was better for you and I actually started liking the taste of it much more than the taste of normal milk!

Any suggestions on?!?!

These articles say that males can become gay and loose their masculinity when consuming soy products. Let alone babies, where the author says it may totally f**k up the baby's life!

Is that stuff true?!

Rob

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:32 pm 

This article contains no new information. The same arguments can be found on many anti-soy websites. The soy consumption is indeed increasing in recent years and the author is linking a lot of health problems with this increased consumption.

Quote:
Unfortunately, when you eat or drink a lot of soy stuff, you're also getting substantial quantities of estrogens.

Soy does not contain one molecule of estrogen. They contain phytoestrogens (isoflavones) which have different biological activity.

Quote:
Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the male organ, sexual confusion and homosexuality. That's why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today's rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soy products.

Rise in homosexuality is not caused by food but by changing moral standards. These days, homosexuality becomes more socially accepted. There is no scientific study linking homosexuality with soy consumption.

Quote:
Research is now showing that when you feed your baby soy formula, you're giving him or her the equivalent of five birth control pills a day.

If soy has the effect of birth control pills why do Asians, who consume most soy, have problems with high population growth rates?
Quote:
A British study in 2000 showed that vegetarian moms (who typically eat more soy, of course) have five times the risk of birthing a boy with hypospadias, or about one chance in 25.

Vegetarians rely more on dairy products than on soy for their source of protein. A study published in Pediatrics shows that the birth prevalence of hypospadias shows no increasing trend between 1987 and 2002.

They mention a lot of scientific references but I cannot find them on pubmed.org (this site lists all studies published by reliable scientific publications). Maybe you can do your own research on that site. Search pubmed.org for ?soy?, ?isoflavones?, ?phytoestrogens?, etc?

Rita

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:54 pm 
Soya slows down metabolism

I used soya milk for about six years and it greatly relieved me of my dairy intollerance. However, my progressive weight gain, during the six years, was recently attributed to soya milk when an official at a natural health clininc told me that SOYA slows down the metabolism!!!

Additionally, to back that up, my niece (20) who is painfully skinny was advised by a General Practicioner to take soya milk to help build her body up.

These two should mean that whilst it helps deal with many conditions, Soya can also cause weight gain. Moreover, persons with thyroid problem are advised not to use soya products.

Rita

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies
   Soya.be Forum Index -> Other health effects  
Page 1 of 1

Soy messages - About Soya.be - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy - Copyright 2012 Soya.be