soya
Soya  -  Information about Soy and Soya Products
Home Soy Foods Reviews Soya Health Soya Recipes Soy Candles

Soy candles
Soy is also used as renewable ingredient for non-food products, such as soy candles and biofuel. Soy candles produce less soot than paraffin candles and burn longer.
animated soy candle

RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   LoginLogin 
Side-effects of soy products
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies
   Soya.be Forum Index -> Soybeans
Sue

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:10 pm 
soy allergy

There are more people out there allergic to soy that people think. My husband and daughter discover last fall, during harvesting season of soy, they are both allergic. My daughter has suffered from panic attacks and blood sugar bottoming out for 7 years to just find out it was due to soy. After elimanation soy from her diet no more panic attacks or blood sugar bottoming out.

My husband started having panic attacks, blood pressure skyrocketing and a lot of other symptoms. We left and went on vacation where there was no soy harvesting the symptoms stopped. When we returned they started up again.

Since elminating soy from his diet, no more panic attacks, blood pressure stay normal, no vomiting, etc. It has gotten to the point when he come in contact with soy his pulse shoots up to 127 and higher and starts choking and vomiting. It is very dangerious to both of them.

robert

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:30 pm 
reaction to soy milk

my reaction to soy is headaches, have been using soy milk for at least 10 years. i stoped using it about 1 week and headaches are gone. also was tired and have joint soreness. i was wondering if anyone had any of these problems. from soy

Eamonn

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:48 am 
Soy Allergy nearly wrecked my life!

My subject post my sound melodramatic but it is true. It took actually decades to isolate Soy and Soy additives in foods as the cause of my allergy.

The allergy symptoms first emerged at 13 years of age and through the years I had to put up with heinous symptoms of skin problems (severe burning of the face, scalp and shoulders), psoriasis, excessively greasy skin, panic attacks and depression, always severly underweight (at 25 years of age I was just over 8 stone - that's only 112 pounds - for 5 foot 10 inches tall). It also hindered my academic career as concentration was nearly impossible.

Many people thought I was an HIV/AIDs victim as my skin was terrible, I was severly underweight and appeared to have wasted muscle mass. The insults and abuse I had to endure because of this caused mental problems which required counselling for years.

Lecithin (found in chocolate), Soy in Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, Soy bread in McDonalds, Burger King etc, anything fried in vegetable oil containing Soy. In fact most foods contain Soy in some form as an additive and this has been my problem.

I have to read the label for everything and if in doubt leave it out!
It's only fresh meat, fish (grilled or baked) and veg for me now and a few reliable products (breads, soups etc) that I know don't contain soy.

I am now 44 years old and 11 1/2 stone - 161 pounds - with clear skin and a youthful complexion.

Believe me, from my own nearly 3 decades of pain I can assure you that Soy is NOT a health food.

Printers' Ink and Acrylic Paints are Soy based too! (I worked in Publishing for years and my psoriasis got very bad when exposed to the printers' shop stock)

I read with dismay recently that Genetically Modified Soy is even more allergenic (with a noted increase of 50% persons, in the UK, reporting a Soy allergy since 1997).

capecoddess

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:53 am 

It it takes 3 months for soy to be totally removed from body after you stop taking it.

I didn't get the impression from that above website that he's trying to sell me his stuff. I've been getting a newspaper (Vitality) that publishes his articles and they never lead us to his stuff so all I've been getting is the information he writes about.

I'm on the edge of cutting soy from my diet but need to finish off what I have here. I'm not sure if it's the cause of certain symptoms that I have that have been listed in the prior postings or not, but I'll only find out by stopping.

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:37 am 
Re: Side-effects of soy products

Reader wrote:
I read an article regarding the adverse of soya products which can lead to breast cancer and thyroid problem. I don't know how true is that, maybe some experts out there can explain more?

Lauron wrote:
HI
I know of all the good things about soy products...
what I want to know is there any negatives linked to it?
ie: does it cause any side-affects ie: constipation?

YES, it's true, I used to drink only soy milk and affected my thyroid, I drink now almond milk, it sucks because I can't drink regular milk.

Guest, Emma

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:12 pm 

It's interesting that Soy has never received a GRAS status by the FDA and is not "Generally Recognized as Safe" There have been many studies that show soy is very toxic, and babies that drink soy formula are taking the equivelent of 3-4 birth control pills a day. you can read more about it at the FDA website (you do have to look for documents as they don't really want the word getting out) and at westonaprice.org

Emma

Rob

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:27 pm 

Why does soy need to be GRAS? Are cabbages, cauliflowers, lettuce, spinach, oranges, etc also GRAS? I do not know about any person who went sick after eating soy. Do you? What studies show that soy is toxic?
Plain soy milk as well as cow's milk are of course not healthy for babies. The only healthy milk for babies is mother's milk. However, soy based formulas are used by millions of babies without problem. There are no epidemiological studies showing that adults, fed as baby with soy formula , are unhealthier than others.
There are no hormones in soybeans. Soybeans are not birth control pills; otherwise everyone was using soybeans for that purpose! Chinese people, who traditionally consume most soy, do not have problems with population growth. Westonprice is not a reliable source. For some reason they hate soy and spread many rumours about soy.
On this website you can freely give your opinion about soy. On the anti-soy websites the information is only going one-way.

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:46 pm 

Associated with endocrine disruption, depression of immune system and thyroid depression
Reproductive problems, infertility, thyroid disease and liver disease due to dietary intake of phytoestrogens have been observed for several species of animals including: mice, rats, cheetah, sturgeon, quail, sheep, pigs and marmoset monkeys
Children on soy-based formula have levels of estrogens 13,000-22,000 times higher than children on milk-based formula

Aluminun- McGraw MD and others. Aluminum content in milk formulae and intravenous fluids used in infants. Lancet I:157 (1986).
Carefully collected human breast milk contained 5 to 20 micrograms aluminum per liter; concentrations were 10 to 20 fold greater in most cow?s milk-based formulas and 100-fold greater in soy-based formulas

Diabetes- McGraw MD and others. Aluminum content in milk formulae and intravenous fluids used in infants. Lancet I:157 (1986).
Carefully collected human breast milk contained 5 to 20 micrograms aluminum per liter; concentrations were 10 to 20 fold greater in most cow?s milk-based formulas and 100-fold greater in soy-based formulas

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:00 pm 

"Phytoestrogens in Soya
Products
Dr. M.G. Fitzpatrick has assembled evidence of the health risks from these compounds entering the diet, at www.soyonlineservice.co.nz. I feel it speaks for itself. A New Zealand health food company instigated his initial investigation in 1993 as a result of an observed connection between premature puberty in young girls, and their ingestion of soy baby formulas.
As a lawyer, I then asked how, if soy protein was as toxic as Dr. Fitzpatrick's literature survey indicated, it could have entered the food chain in the first place. I resolved to have this investigated. Here is a synopsis of what I found after detailed searching of United States government files and use of their Freedom of Information Act.
Soy protein was developed in the laboratories of the Northern Resource Utilisation Centre of the U.S. Dept of Agriculture in the 1950's. The scientists there knew (1) that they were not removing the natural toxins (for instance, sitosterol and genistein), but this was not publicised to consumers, or to the U.S. FDA. It entered the food chain in 1959 (2) in a very small way. Even in 1970 consumption was estimated to be less then one-eighth of a gram per person per day (3). It was never subject to pre-market approval procedures in the U.S. as has been required by the Food Drug and Cosmetics Act since 1958 and was not therefore a legal ingredient, especially of infant foods. There was never a risk assessment performed for any natural toxins in the finished product, and until 1979 the only FDA approved legal use was as a binder and sealer for cardboard packaging. (4) In 1979 the Life Sciences Division of F.A.S.E.B. performed an Evaluation (5) of soy protein as a foodstuff to investigate risk from artifacts which might be created in the processing nitrosamines, lysinoalanines and nitrite. Soy protein failed to be accepted by the Evaluators and to this day its only GRAS codification is for use as a cardboard sealant. It does not have general U.S. FDA "GRAS" status, and in the current codification of substances with GRAS status under the Food, Drug and Cosmetics Act, it is in the "limited use category", still only as a cardboard sealer. Seemingly, it has never been approved specifically in any country, including the United Kingdom, the assumption being that if it was used in the U.S.A, then it must be safe. Though your Committee are concerned only with the isoflavones, the literature is replete with cautions about the health risks from the protease inhibitors and phytic acid levels in soy protein, and any Committee investigating Chemicals in Food should also take these into consideration.
Another question logically followed: "Given all the adverse effects which were reported, how could soy protein comply with FAO/Code guidelines G4/89 for safe vegetable protein?" (6) It does not appear to do so. For instance, at the consumption levels in some human diets, the isoflavone content of processed soy foods is
a) Reproductively Toxic (7)
b) Chronically Toxic (8)
c) Subacutely Toxic (9)
d) Mutagenic (10) (11)
e) Teratogenic (12)
f) Carcinogenic (13) (14)
I believe that full and complete safety studies should be performed on soy
protein products in the human diet, and that consumers are entitled to safety warnings concerning each of the categories of toxicity recited in the Codes G-4/89 guidelines. For instance, the uptake of phytoestrogens into infant plasma from the ingestion of soy infant formulas has been shown to be twice that which caused the disruption of menstrual cycles. (15)
In this, I am only concurring in the opinions expressed by the Chief Reproductive Toxicologist of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (Dr.D.M Sheehan) and the Chief Biological Toxicologist of the same Government Agency (Dr Daniel Doerge) (16)
You will also note that the eminent Italian soy expert, Dr. Cesare Sirtori, was concerned enough to write a letter in March 2000 to the Lancet (17) on the "disturbing data on potential mutagenic, carcinogenic and teratagenic properties of phytoestrogens" presented at the Soy Symposium November 1999.
Since the identification of premature maturation of girls was the trigger for concern about the levels of phytoestrogens in the infant foods they had consumed, I have included (18) the Puerto Rico study, where a significant positive association between such events was established.
I note that, in the 1999 Zbinden Lecture, Professor J Ashby reported "soy enriched infant formula is active as an estrogen to weanling rats when imbibed in the drinking water at the recommended human concentration"; and "that Burgen Bread showed similar activity in the immature rat to that of the synthetic estrogen nonylphenol"; and he titled his lecture: Are Environmental Chemicals Affecting the Integrity or Expression of the Human Genome? This is precisely my concern: huge publicity is given to the Human Genome Project. Little is given to the knowledge that considerable quantities of gene-altering food is entering the food environment for direct consumption in the guise of "health" foods.
Thank you for the opportunity to make this submission. I am still angry that the presence of these toxins in soy formulas at higher levels than those already known in 1955 to damage laboratory mice "

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:22 pm 
it's not safe... why defend obvious problems

I do know people that have been sick after eating soy, and there are many of them posting on this forum, Don't you believe them? And if you checked the FDA website you would see that soy formula has been linked to Diabetes, Eye development problems, Thyroid problems and gastro intestinal issues... When something is as questionable as soy is I would think people would rather take the side of caution. You're not the first to defend a poison, and you won't be the last- But I wonder if you are honestly deceived, or other....? I hope that you will continue to research this yourself.
Rob wrote:
Why does soy need to be GRAS? Are cabbages, cauliflowers, lettuce, spinach, oranges, etc also GRAS? I do not know about any person who went sick after eating soy. Do you? What studies show that soy is toxic?
Plain soy milk as well as cow's milk are of course not healthy for babies. The only healthy milk for babies is mother's milk. However, soy based formulas are used by millions of babies without problem. There are no epidemiological studies showing that adults, fed as baby with soy formula , are unhealthier than others.
There are no hormones in soybeans. Soybeans are not birth control pills; otherwise everyone was using soybeans for that purpose! Chinese people, who traditionally consume most soy, do not have problems with population growth. Westonprice is not a reliable source. For some reason they hate soy and spread many rumours about soy.
On this website you can freely give your opinion about soy. On the anti-soy websites the information is only going one-way.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:05 pm 
Re: Soya symptoms

Guest wrote:
Hi there,

I've come to this site via this forum http://www.soya.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62[url]
and although this was posted a while ago thought I'd reply as I'm attempting to bring awareness to the public about soya products in food and the symptoms of allergy.

As a vegetarian of 12 years, I discovered an allergy to soya after a dietician advised me to eat more protein i.e. soya. Within 2 weeks I felt very ill. The dietician informed me that soya is a top 10 allergy in the world and causes many problems. Symptoms are varied and similar to anxiety, i.e. chest pains, tingling in hands/arms and aggitation. All in line with 'Chinese Restaurant Syndrome' caused by monosodium glutemate (MSG), derived from soya!!!!

I've found that Soya is hidden in most processed food and I am sure it must be causing problems without the public realising. Label listings such as vegetable starch, modified starch can be soya in disguise. It's everywhere, even in organic bread. There is a campaign in the US to get all food products labelled.

A recently received email from a health company told me what to look for in vitamin pills etc.

"Natural Vitamin E is derived from a variety of seed oils and this may include Soya so anything with Vitamin E may not be suitable (eg Evening Primrose, Omega 3 650mg). Lecithin is also derived from Soya so supplements containing Lecithin will be unsuitable. Lycopene, Vitamin D, MSM and Garlic tablets may also contain traces of Soya."

As a dance teacher, a student began complaining to me of these symptoms. After exhaustive investigations, she asked me for suggestions. I jokingly replied 'Do you eat soya?' Her answer: 'Everyday.' I told her my findings and left her to digest the bad news

Has anyone else had problems with soya or even undiagnosed symptoms. Are you as horrified as I am about the lack of choice regarding soya in food? Although I'm horrified in general regarding the contents of some food. Who can we tell in the food industry icon_question.gif

Take care,
Debbie @ SpaceWeavers
Fearless Living Coach
Quote:
icon_razz.gif icon_mad.gif

hello,

re above I have started taking soya milk for the past 1 half weeks now, and i have been getting tingling down my left side arm and leg, also tighten of chest. I am now going to stop the soya milk, and find out if it has been that, also go to my doctor in case in is an another underlying thing, but think it could be the Soya Milk

kara

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:45 am 
soy formula

I feel a deep sense of regret. I had premature twins. Initially they were on breast milk for the first 3 months. they were having digestion problems, mainly gas and were not sleeping because they seemed uncomfortable. i was obsessed with them gaining weight. they only weighted 2 lbs at birth. so i switched them to formula. the only formula they would tolerate was soy based. now they are one year old. i switched them to cows milk two days ago after hearing about the soy side effects. i am so fearful of the damage i may have done to them.
they are boy/girl twins.

any thoughts?

Rob

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:23 pm 

We hope that your twins are well! Are your twins still underweight?

We are not doctors and can therefore not give medical advice. We can only mention evidence, which we find in scientific literature. A study by Mendez MA et al and published in the Journal of Nutrition (2002) mentions that although modern soy-based formulas have only been in use since the mid- to late 1980s, early soy-based formulas have been commonly used since the 1960s without clinically obvious adverse effects. Soy protein-based formula are now used by about 25 percent of infants in the US. Preterm underweight infants may put on less weight when given soy formula.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:59 pm 

I use a lot of soy products. I have been told that soy can cause age spots. Yet I cannot find anything in print. The person who told me that said she read it on the internet. Does anyone out there know more??

JK

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:06 am 
soy and aging

I cannot address age spots but what about this: "Men and women who eat two or more servings of tofu per week in midlife are more likely to experience cognitive decline, senile dementia and brain atrophy later in life than those who eat little or none." p 307 in The Whole Soy Story
wellbean1@yahoo.com
<snip>Removed promotional website</snip>

Rob

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:29 am 

If you want to write a book about soy and you want to sell it you have to fill it with a lot of sensational content. That?s exactly what this book is doing. As the title explains, it is a story. Instead of relying on such websites you should do your own research. At http://www.pubmed.org you can do your own research for scientific articles. I don?t trust any studies that cannot be found on that website.

The association between dementia and tofu is based on ONE study, the Honolulu Heart Study. This study linked eating patens with diseases but did take into account sufficient factors. Suppose that tofu eaters in Honolulu are mainly vegetarians and that there is a link between dementia and vegetarianism, caused by another factor than tofu. Nobody has been able to reproduce the conclusion of this study. To the contrary, other studies show that consumption of soy and isoflavone improve memory and have a positive effect on brain function.

The site that you promote (maybe your own site) is an affiliate site redirecting to another site selling capsules, formulations, supplements, enzymes, ? I rather prefer plain food such as soy. So please stop promoting these sites!

xmqx

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:54 am 
Re: Adverse effects of Soy

I love Dr. Mercola and the Weston A. Price foundation. Definitely, everyone should check out what they have to say about soy.

sunrise

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:51 pm 
soya

For those of you who have joint pains (e.g. gout), soya is actually bad for you. I had a blood test done & was surprised that although I don't drink I had high levels of uric acid which was probably the cause of my knee pains. This was due to my frequent intake of soy milk and tofu. When I stopped taking these, the joint pains disappeared. This is something to think abt....

PETER MARTIN

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:33 am 
SOYA SIDE EFFECTS

I was recently diagnosed as lactose intolerant. I therefore changed to soya milk and soya spread and my wife cooks with soya products. Since changing to Soya I have noticed that my skin, particularly on my face, has become very dry and sore. I need to use liberal amounts of moisturiser to keep it looking right.
If I am in strong sun my face goes read and blotchy.
Has anyone else had these symptoms.

BB

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:13 am 
SOY MILK

Has anyone had problems with flatulence/gas from using soy milK?

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies
   Soya.be Forum Index -> Soybeans  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Soy messages - About Soya.be - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy - Copyright 2012 Soya.be