soya
Soya  -  Information about Soy and Soya Products
Home Soy Foods Reviews Soya Health Soya Recipes Soy Candles

Soy candles
Soy is also used as renewable ingredient for non-food products, such as soy candles and biofuel. Soy candles produce less soot than paraffin candles and burn longer.
animated soy candle

RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   LoginLogin 
Side-effects of soy products
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies
   Soya.be Forum Index -> Soybeans
Lauron

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:18 pm 
Side-effects of soy products

HI
I know of all the good things about soy products...
what I want to know is there any negatives linked to it?
ie: does it cause any side-affects ie: constipation?

julian

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:04 am 
soy, is it toxic?

As far as I know soy is not food and is advertised as healthy food to make a market for it. If soy is fermented the toxins are neutralized but I'd like to know how to prepare unfermented soy for nontoxic meals.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:16 am 
Soya symptoms

Hi there,

I've come to this site via this forum http://www.soya.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62 and although this was posted a while ago thought I'd reply as I'm attempting to bring awareness to the public about soya products in food and the symptoms of allergy.

As a vegetarian of 12 years, I discovered an allergy to soya after a dietician advised me to eat more protein i.e. soya. Within 2 weeks I felt very ill. The dietician informed me that soya is a top 10 allergy in the world and causes many problems. Symptoms are varied and similar to anxiety, i.e. chest pains, tingling in hands/arms and aggitation. All in line with 'Chinese Restaurant Syndrome' caused by monosodium glutemate (MSG), derived from soya!!!!

I've found that Soya is hidden in most processed food and I am sure it must be causing problems without the public realising. Label listings such as vegetable starch, modified starch can be soya in disguise. It's everywhere, even in organic bread. There is a campaign in the US to get all food products labelled.

A recently received email from a health company told me what to look for in vitamin pills etc.

"Natural Vitamin E is derived from a variety of seed oils and this may include Soya so anything with Vitamin E may not be suitable (eg Evening Primrose, Omega 3 650mg). Lecithin is also derived from Soya so supplements containing Lecithin will be unsuitable. Lycopene, Vitamin D, MSM and Garlic tablets may also contain traces of Soya."

As a dance teacher, a student began complaining to me of these symptoms. After exhaustive investigations, she asked me for suggestions. I jokingly replied 'Do you eat soya?' Her answer: 'Everyday.' I told her my findings and left her to digest the bad news

Has anyone else had problems with soya or even undiagnosed symptoms. Are you as horrified as I am about the lack of choice regarding soya in food? Although I'm horrified in general regarding the contents of some food. Who can we tell in the food industry icon_question.gif

Take care,
Debbie @ SpaceWeavers
Fearless Living Coach

Hildegard

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:24 pm 

Hi,

It's a pitty that you are allergic to soy. Allergy to soy does occur but it only affects 0.5% of people. Of course if you are allergic to soy you should not eat it. But the other 99.5% should be able to enjoy the benefits of soy.

We consume a lot of soy products without any adverse effects. Since we reduced the intake of dairy products and consumed more soy products (soymilk, tofu, tempeh) our health improved.

Please note that MSG is not made from soy, but it's often added as an additive to soy sauce. As opposed to other beans, soy beans do not contain starch. So starch can never be from soy origin.

Best regards,
Hildegard

Jenny

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:39 pm 
soya allergies

I started using soya products like flour and milk and within two weeks i felt extremely tired. It took me a while to link this to the soya products but as soon as i came off them i felt much better. Did anyone else have a similar side effect?

Jenny

Zaida

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:09 pm 
should i give soy tu my baby?

hi.
I?ve never been tasted soy, but i want to, and i want to know if i can give it to my baby, he?s only 7 months old. thanks

Beng Leong

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:28 am 
Re: Side-effects of soy products

I share the experience of Jenny. Whenever I take soya bean products in large quantity, e.g. soya bean milk and soya bean curd, I would feel very tired and lethargic.

Apparently, this occurs more to people with "O" blood type because our body cannot metabolize the protein in the soya bean.

Read Eat Right 4 Your Type for the detailed explanation!

Reader

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:44 pm 

I read an article regarding the adverse of soya products which can lead to breast cancer and thyroid problem. I don't know how true is that, maybe some experts out there can explain more?

[quote="Lauron"]HI
ie: does it cause any side-affects ie: constipation?[/quote]

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:13 am 

The "thyroid problems" from soy only happen if you consume huge quantities of it and don't have adequate iodine intake or already have a thyroid problem.

Babies who are fed a soy-only diet without a vitamin and mineral supplement have a slight chance of going temporarily hypOthyroid. This is because soy is one of many foods (broccoli, pears etc) that is a goitrogen and can block iodine from getting into the thyroid to make thyroid hormone.

This condition nearly always goes away after minerals (iodine) are added to the diet via vitamins, iodized salt or iodine containing vegetables.

Also - adults who have a slow working thyroid may also find that eating large amounts of soy might slow the thyroid down even more. But as soon as they stop eating large amounts of soy, the condition goes away.

Both situations occur only when LARGE quantities of soy are eaten.
I haven't found any study to show a negative outcome when moderate amounts are eaten.

The milk lobby is really trying to pull the rug out from under soy -- a serious threat to the dairy industry especially when more and more positive studies keep coming out.

N Guest

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:59 pm 
Side-effects

Plainty of non sense on this forum (except Hildegard) !!! What a pity to read so stupid things on soybean side-effects ! But don't worry, you are not alone, I already read elsewhere something like this.

I suppose that every one here is adult. What does it mean to be an adult ? It means that you are mature enough to think by yourself. Don't believe things just because some have said that somewhere on a forum. But search by yourself official information and by relying on your own capacity of thinking. Do you know how many Chinese people and Japanese people eat daily soy milk or soy based products ? 99.9% ! Do they have more breast cancer ? Why don't you go on the website of the Federal Drug Administration and read what they say ? icon_cry.gif

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:29 pm 
Re: soya allergies

Jenny wrote:
I started using soya products like flour and milk and within two weeks i felt extremely tired. It took me a while to link this to the soya products but as soon as i came off them i felt much better. Did anyone else have a similar side effect?

Jenny

I started using soya isoflavins as recommended by my local health shop. After 4 months of flash free menopause I felt extremely tired, gained weight, had very painful elbow, fingers, knees, feet and hips. I went to my doctor who took blood tests and was diagnosed with a borderline underactive thyroid. It was only when I went on the internet and found the reason I was so ill was the allergic reaction to soya. I have stopped taking it now and hope that the symptoms with subside very soon. Does anyone know about how long it is when the symptoms will start to subside.

Eileen
Quote:

yvie

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:48 pm 
soya isoflavones

I too have been taking soya isoflavones for over a year to alleviate flashes.
It has worked brilliantly, but I do feel tired and without any energy all the time so am wondering ifit could be the soya.

Has anyone any other natural remedies for flashes, as I find it difficult to cope with them.
Many thanks

ChattyCathy

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:47 pm 
Adverse effects of Soy

For those who are interested in the "side effects" of soy, you might want to check out a couple of great websites.

One is mercola.com
Type in "soy" in the search box.

The other is Dr. Weston Price. His Foundation is bringing a class action law suit against the manufacturers of soy products due to all the adverse effects different people have had.

If you have had any (and it sounds like many have) you may want to contact the foundation.

Hildegard

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:13 pm 

We know these websites since a long time. Weston Price is promoting meat and milk and Mercola is scaring people so they buy more of the stuff he sells. These sites are not worth a visit.

If you want collect adverse effects caused by food you will find thousands about soy but also thousands about potatoes, oranges, lettuce, onions, ... The real issue is that soy products are competing with meat and milk and the other food products not.

Dan

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:35 pm 
Soy

Not to break up this thread, but are there any connections with candles having any negative effects for anyone with allergies mentioned..(airborne)

Sue

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:10 pm 
soy allergy

There are more people out there allergic to soy that people think. My husband and daughter discover last fall, during harvesting season of soy, they are both allergic. My daughter has suffered from panic attacks and blood sugar bottoming out for 7 years to just find out it was due to soy. After elimanation soy from her diet no more panic attacks or blood sugar bottoming out.

My husband started having panic attacks, blood pressure skyrocketing and a lot of other symptoms. We left and went on vacation where there was no soy harvesting the symptoms stopped. When we returned they started up again.

Since elminating soy from his diet, no more panic attacks, blood pressure stay normal, no vomiting, etc. It has gotten to the point when he come in contact with soy his pulse shoots up to 127 and higher and starts choking and vomiting. It is very dangerious to both of them.

robert

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:30 pm 
reaction to soy milk

my reaction to soy is headaches, have been using soy milk for at least 10 years. i stoped using it about 1 week and headaches are gone. also was tired and have joint soreness. i was wondering if anyone had any of these problems. from soy

Eamonn

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:48 am 
Soy Allergy nearly wrecked my life!

My subject post my sound melodramatic but it is true. It took actually decades to isolate Soy and Soy additives in foods as the cause of my allergy.

The allergy symptoms first emerged at 13 years of age and through the years I had to put up with heinous symptoms of skin problems (severe burning of the face, scalp and shoulders), psoriasis, excessively greasy skin, panic attacks and depression, always severly underweight (at 25 years of age I was just over 8 stone - that's only 112 pounds - for 5 foot 10 inches tall). It also hindered my academic career as concentration was nearly impossible.

Many people thought I was an HIV/AIDs victim as my skin was terrible, I was severly underweight and appeared to have wasted muscle mass. The insults and abuse I had to endure because of this caused mental problems which required counselling for years.

Lecithin (found in chocolate), Soy in Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, Soy bread in McDonalds, Burger King etc, anything fried in vegetable oil containing Soy. In fact most foods contain Soy in some form as an additive and this has been my problem.

I have to read the label for everything and if in doubt leave it out!
It's only fresh meat, fish (grilled or baked) and veg for me now and a few reliable products (breads, soups etc) that I know don't contain soy.

I am now 44 years old and 11 1/2 stone - 161 pounds - with clear skin and a youthful complexion.

Believe me, from my own nearly 3 decades of pain I can assure you that Soy is NOT a health food.

Printers' Ink and Acrylic Paints are Soy based too! (I worked in Publishing for years and my psoriasis got very bad when exposed to the printers' shop stock)

I read with dismay recently that Genetically Modified Soy is even more allergenic (with a noted increase of 50% persons, in the UK, reporting a Soy allergy since 1997).

capecoddess

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:53 am 

It it takes 3 months for soy to be totally removed from body after you stop taking it.

I didn't get the impression from that above website that he's trying to sell me his stuff. I've been getting a newspaper (Vitality) that publishes his articles and they never lead us to his stuff so all I've been getting is the information he writes about.

I'm on the edge of cutting soy from my diet but need to finish off what I have here. I'm not sure if it's the cause of certain symptoms that I have that have been listed in the prior postings or not, but I'll only find out by stopping.

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:37 am 

Reader wrote:
I read an article regarding the adverse of soya products which can lead to breast cancer and thyroid problem. I don't know how true is that, maybe some experts out there can explain more?

Lauron wrote:
HI
ie: does it cause any side-affects ie: constipation?

YES, it's true, I used to drink only soy milk and affected my thyroid, I drink now almond milk, it sucks because I can't drink regular milk.

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies
   Soya.be Forum Index -> Soybeans  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Soy messages - About Soya.be - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy - Copyright 2012 Soya.be