soya
Soya  -  Information about Soy and Soya Products
Home Soy Foods Reviews Soya Health Soya Recipes Soy Candles

Soy candles
Soy is also used as renewable ingredient for non-food products, such as soy candles and biofuel. Soy candles produce less soot than paraffin candles and burn longer.
animated soy candle

RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   LoginLogin 
soya milk preservative

Soya.be Forum Index -> Soy milk
sammy akpor

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:04 pm 
soya milk preservative

Hi,
I want to know there is any safe preservative for soya milk?
And what is it?

Rob

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:08 am 

As far as I know it is not possible to chemically preserve soya milk. Common preservatives such as sodium benzoaat and potassium sorbate only work in foods with low pH, such as fruit drinks and sour salads. Many producers claim that their soya milk is preservative free, but this claim does not make sense since preservatives are never added to lengthen the shelf-life of soya milk.

renesausa

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 am 
soya preservative

i use sodium benzoate only to find out that it changed the color and taste of soya... do you have other option?

Erik

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:44 pm 

You cannot chemically preserve soy milk because it has a neutral pH. Preservatives such as benzoic acid of sorbic acid only work well in acid products, as explained in previous post. Benzoic acid also has a typical chemical taste that you can detect in levels as low as 50 ppm. The only possible way to store soy milk for a long time at room temperature is to treat it with UHT heat treatment and fill aseptically.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:45 pm 

Erik wrote:
You cannot chemically preserve soy milk because it has a neutral pH. Preservatives such as benzoic acid of sorbic acid only work well in acid products, as explained in previous post. Benzoic acid also has a typical chemical taste that you can detect in levels as low as 50 ppm. The only possible way to store soy milk for a long time at room temperature is to treat it with UHT heat treatment and fill aseptically.

kindly give more details of UHT heat treatment

Erik

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:24 pm 

Ultra-High Temperature (UHT) treatment is the sterilization of food by heating it for a few seconds only at a temperature exceeding 135°C, which is required to kill spores. This is something you cannot do at home, you need special expensive UHT machinery.

Last edited by Erik on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total

Ronald28

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 am 
Hi

Hi guys all i know to some commercial soy milk is made completely sterile by heating at very high temperature during short time (for example 30 sec at 135?C). This you can not achieve in your kitchen, even boiling will not kill all bacteria. Your utensils may also contain some bacteria well its depends anyway for you how you manage things into your house etc by the way this is the first time i been here so i just reading some of your comment guys and nice to meet all of you also i hope my opinion helps its just for hygiene:)

Thanks and god bless

Kindly Regards
Ronald

jane623@ymail.com

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:04 pm 
UHT MATCHINE

were can i get the UHT machine and at what cost

hsulay

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:04 pm 
how to use

I want to know how to use preservative in soybean milk. How much use? I mean ratio. Example soybean milk 100 ml how much I use preservative. I want to use sodium benzoate for preservative. is it suitable for food?

Erik

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:01 am 

According to a recent study, it is possible to preserve soybean milk with sodium benzoate, but only for about 2 weeks and when stored cooled. Also the soybean milk should be first pasteurized. The quanity of sodium benzoate is quite high and will influence the taste.

"Results obtained showed that sodium benzoate at a concentration of 700-800 ppm along with refrigeration was able to control the proliferation of mesophilic aerobic bacteria maintaining them within the levels of 3×103 for up to 13 days of storage at refrigeration temperature. At room temperature, it was possible to control the proliferation of mesophilic aerobes to 3×103 for only four days with up to 800 ppm of sodium benzoate. Yeasts and molds were controlled to the permissible levels of 3×103 for 8 days when 600- 800 ppm of sodium benzoate was used while lower concentrations of 100-500 ppm were able to achieve preservation for only 7 days at room temperature."

Source: J.E. Momoh, C.E. Udobi and A.A. Orukotan. Improving the Microbial Keeping Quality of Home Made Soymilk Using a Combination of Preservatives, Pasteurization and Refrigeration. British Journal of Dairy Sciences 2(1): 1-4, 2011.

Soya.be Forum Index -> Soy milk  
Page 1 of 1

Soy messages - About Soya.be - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy - Copyright 2012 Soya.be