soya
Soya  -  Information about Soy and Soya Products
Home Soy Foods Reviews Soya Health Soya Recipes Soy Candles

Soy candles
Soy is also used as renewable ingredient for non-food products, such as soy candles and biofuel. Soy candles produce less soot than paraffin candles and burn longer.
animated soy candle

RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   LoginLogin 
do soya contain uric acid?

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies
   Soya.be Forum Index -> Soybeans

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:50 am 

is soya safe for people with high uric acid? i understand that beans, legumes etc contain uric acid.

Hildegard

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:37 am 

Uric acid is not consumed with food but uric acid is a normal product of our metabolism of purines. The disease gout is characterized by elevated blood levels of uric acid. This may be caused by other diseases that increase production or decrease the excretion of uric acid.

Here are purine levels of some foods (per 100g):

- liver: 230 mg
- soybeans: 120 mg
- meat: 60-90 mg
- tofu: 29 mg
- brocolli: 21 mg
- cheese: 5 -13 mg
- apple: 6 mg

Soy belongs to the food products with moderate to high levels of purines. The purine level in soybeans seems high but soy is also rich in other nutrients. For the same amount of protein, soybeans and other soy products (tofu, tempeh, soymilk) contain less purines than meat and vegetables.

If you suffer from gout, you can eat soy products in moderation, in the context of a healthy and low fat diet. Following foods should be eliminated: anchovies, sardines, herring, mackerel, scallops and most organs (kidneys, brains and liver). Alcohol increases purine production and should only be consumed in moderate amount.

arthurorton

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:38 pm 

i do not have any disagreement with the response and what i have to add is anecdotal. but i have gout, and though i've eaten tofu in moderation with no symptoms, i've found soy milk to be impossible to drink without serious repurcussions. in my own experience soy milk has been a leading factor in my worst crippling attacks. with the recent harvard study about dairy products lowering gout symptoms, i must say that low fat milk seems the best product for gout sufferers.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:54 am 

i must say that low fat milk seems the best product for gout sufferers.
Quote:

I am suffering from lactose intolerance, that means i cannot drink milk and i am also having problem with gout whuch means soy milk should not be an alternative what shall i do?
Tnx.

Monkeyman

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:11 am 
No to soya

Now i am not an eater of soy but i respect people's attempt at being healthy in today's especially unhealthy world. However, i have recently received a particularly disturbing e-mail telling me of the effects that soya has on people. Do you kno that consuming as little as 35grams of soya a day has been proven to cause thyroid malfunctioning? Because it emulates hormones it has been known to cause thyroid cancer as well as breast cancer.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean#Soy_controversy use that link to find out further information. I was appalled at that information because i know how widely it is used as a health food. Apparently the reason it is marketed as a health food is for money. The companies that market it refuse to announce how dangerous it really is because of how successful it is as a health food product. After i read that e-mail, somehow i wandered onto this website and i decided that i needed to let others, who are innocently using the product in attempts to be healthier, know just what they are getting themselves into. Soya is actually a toxic by-product of the vegetable oil industry. Here are some other links to the effects of Soya:
www.haelan.co.uk/Wholefood-Soya.shtml
www.netlink.de/gen/Zeitung/2000/000813.html
www.biotech-info.net/soya.html
And what frightens me most, is how widely used soya is. In many many preserved foods it is present. In any case, i just posted this message to let others know just how bad it really is. I hope this website will allow it to be posted.

Rob

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:29 am 

Hi Monkeyman, please do not post same message in all topics!

Quote:
Soya is actually a toxic by-product of the vegetable oil industry.

This is not correct! Soya has been used for thousands of years. Only recently has soya been used to extract the oil. Soy milk, tofu, tempeh and whole soybeans are no by-products.

There is a lot of anti-soya madness on the internet. If soya is that dangerous why do health authorities allow it? Soy is not dangerous! To the contrary, it contains many health promoting phytochemicals.

Jay

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:27 pm 
Soy Milk Alternatives To Gout and Lactose Intolerance

Guest wrote:
i must say that low fat milk seems the best product for gout sufferers.
Quote:

I am suffering from lactose intolerance, that means i cannot drink milk and i am also having problem with gout whuch means soy milk should not be an alternative what shall i do?
Tnx.

I have problems with both and have found almond and/or rice milk to be excellent alternatives. They can be found in the supermarket, usually in one quart cartons in the healthy food section.

myaj

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:12 am 
gout

my husband has gout, and we've read that black cherry juice helps get rid of uric acid from the body. we are presently trying products with this component as he is presently suffering from an attack at this time. He is allergic to the usual pain relievers widely used as well, so you could imagine the paina nd suffering he is going through. we are inclluding tofu in his diet as a source of protein, because there is very limited choices of food one can eat when one as gout. we will let you know if the stuff we are trying will work...til next time

PeteS

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:15 pm 
Gout and lactose

I am in the same boat as Jay and this quoter:

Quote:
Tnx

I have found the supermarket's stocking lactose free milk which does not affect my gout

jr

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 am 
Soy Milk

I am having quite an attack after drinking a large glass of soy milk for three days in a row. There must be something to this.

arief

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:44 pm 
Re: Soy Milk

jr wrote:
I am having quite an attack after drinking a large glass of soy milk for three days in a row. There must be something to this.

I've got the same experience with jr. My doctor told me to stop taking soy milk. However, I have no problem consuming tofu and tempeh almost everyday.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:52 pm 
soya milk

icon_confused.gif I am just surprised of the information pertaining to soya product. I am just starting to consume soya product-powder form. I am made to believe that this enahance immunity against diseases- an immune booster, a non-gmo, organic and has isoflavones. I have been operated and has no gallbladder, thus have to take less-fat diet. I am not comfortable of non-fat or low-fat milk anymore. So far I'm feeling fine. vkdg

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:20 pm 
soya milk and gout

definitely a connection.

I haven't suffered for months until I started drinking soya milk.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm 
Soy milk

I currently have an attack of gout and couldn't figure out why. My last attack was one year ago. I don't eat rich foods, or shell fish, and hardly drink beer. But I have been using soy milk in my cereal on a regular basis since last year. After reading these posts, my hunch that soy milk might be causing my gout has been confirmed. I will stop using soy milk and see what happens. Thank you to all of you! icon_smile.gif

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:28 pm 
soya

history notes that the orientals used a fermenting process to gain soya. this fermentation process 'deactivates' toxins within the natural product... the orientals also used soya in small amounts and my reading also finds that soya interferes with the thyroid function and even interferes with DNA leading to cancers developing...
My own use of soya milk produced diarrhoea and nausea weight gain and lethargy suffice to say i went back to good old cows milk and been fine ever since...
finally I would suggest anyone suffering higher levels of uric acid and arthritic pain drink more water, try a period of short fasting if not contra-indicated and cut out sugar products... dont take my word for it google it and see for yourself...

best wishes and good luck

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:21 pm 

I had not had gout problems for about 4 to 5 years. I decided about 6 to 8 months ago to have more cerial for breakfast, which I used more milk. I used nonfat cow's milk but soon found out it was giving me heartburn so I changed to soy milk and the heartburn stopped. Two months ago my left hand and wrist be came extremely sore. I went to the ER where it was diagnosed as gouty arthritis.This past week end it hit my right hand and wrist with the same diagnoses. Ispent most of the weekend on the computer looking at gout and going over my eating habits. I had come to the conclusion it had to be bean related. After discovering this wegsite I am sure it is the soy milk. Thanks to all of you for responding. Responses from people who live with the problems are just as valuable as research maybe more ,we have no axe to grind.

Rob

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:16 pm 

Hi Guest, thanks for you post! Probably you have read this page as well. People can react very individually and specifically to certain types of food. Like you are doing, it is import to tests the effect of specific foods on your own health, especially if you believe that there is a link with a disease. This can easily be tested by eliminating this food and observing the effects. But we get many posts like your's by people claiming that soy is the culprit for a recently developed health condition and that they will stop its consumption. But they do not come back to tell about their experiment. So please come back to this forum after a few weeks!

gogiana

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:24 pm 
soy/gout/food combos

I just want people to think about the over all picture- the food combining they might be doing, introducing foods not eaten in a while, environmental factors, dehydration, and what other factors may be involved. We may be setting ourselves up for gouty attacks and one food or habit puts us over the threshold.

I myself, without realizing, set myself up for a gout attack. I had a change in my diet: ran out of dried cherries for my daily snack;( good for balancing purines); fell off the taking-vitamins-wagon: hence probably less folic acid, (which is good to take if you have gout tendencies); doing some house renovation: got a bit of lead exposure; (Increased lead levels, can cause uric acid issues, ) holidays: more red wine; (dehydrated possibly). The only thing that hasn't changed is soy milk in my coffee- which might have been one of the many reasons that set me up for this gout attack in the first place. What put me over the edge was a food I had not had in a long time-- scallops. My body wasn't used to it and reacted.
thank you for everyone's feedback!

Glennsmooth

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:13 pm 
wow

This is an eye opener... I am having an attack right now and after reading these posts I'm about 90% sure it's the addition of Soy Milk to my diet. I've been trying to eat the right things and exercise a lot more but it looks like I will be taking Soy Milk off the "good" list. I had an attack about 2 years ago. That was my first experience... thought I was gonna die, haha... Wow, excruciating pain in my ankle. Couldn't work for a few days. It went away and I haven't had an attack since.. But in the last month or 2 I've had repeated attacks and finally I think I have the answer - Soy Milk! Thanks for the informative posts.

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies
   Soya.be Forum Index -> Soybeans  
Page 1 of 1

Soy messages - About Soya.be - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy - Copyright 2012 Soya.be