soya
Soya  -  Information about Soy and Soya Products
Home Soy Foods Reviews Soya Health Soya Recipes Soy Candles

Soy candles
Soy is also used as renewable ingredient for non-food products, such as soy candles and biofuel. Soy candles produce less soot than paraffin candles and burn longer.
animated soy candle

RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   LoginLogin 
Soy milk and gout

Soya.be Forum Index -> Joint problems
Anuj

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:34 pm 
Soy milk and gout

Jay wrote:
I have problems with both and have found almond and/or rice milk to be excellent alternatives. They can be found in the supermarket, usually in one quart cartons in the healthy food section.
I am 46 old male. I too is suffering from Hi Uric Acid from last 25 years and lactose intolerance. From last 6 years i am suffering from acute joint pains, specially knees. Earlier doctors said that there is no need to take any medication untill uric acid levels cross 8. Then after 3 years, X rays report of knees confirmed osteoarthritis in right knee. My uric acid levels reached upto 8.6 and then doctor put me on the medication. I don't have any typical symptoms of Gout pains like swollen big toe, inflammed joints but I suffer from svere pain in both the ankles, specially during change of season. I am an Indian, Vegetarian, non drinker, non smoker - I am unable to understand what exactly is the problem with me. I have reduced intake of food items from my vegetarian menue which the doctors and dieticians have advised like - All beans, Legumes, Tomatoes, Cheese, Cauliflower, Mushrooms, Green leafy vegetables. Now I am left with very little choice of vegetables which are not available round the year. Recently from 5 months all big joints which earlier were not affected have also become painfull like hip joints, elbows, shoulders. I chanced upon this discussion since I was trying to find out whether soyabeans are bad for hi uric acid, since I had read from a book that soya protein doesn't have any bad effect. But the confusion has increased. Can any body clarify?

tnlrandall

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:24 am 
Try these herbs to flush out uric acid

Hi!

I'm also a gout sufferer since in my 30's and I'm now into my mid-60's. In the early days of suffering from gout, I resorted to medication (sorry, forgot the Brand & type as I took it 2x only), which upped the pain intensity during the next attack.

One day 30+ years ago, while browsing in a bookshop, I came across a book that provided info of herbal cure for gout & other ailments.

For gout, it recommended the following herbs to flush out the uric acid:-

1. Alfalfa
2. Sasaparilla
3. Celery
4. Cod liver oil
5. Drink at least 1.5 liter of water.

Word of Caution: As with all herbs, it is imperative that you know it's good and bad properties ( i.e Cod liver oil is good, but people with low blood pressure must take it with caution as it thins the blood & causing a person to faint).

[i]

However, I have changed the herbal combination as the herb 'sasaparilla' is no longer on sale in Malaysia since the 1980's. I'm now taking the following herbs for my gout, which is now starting to make it's presence felt again, probably, due to the increased consumption of soya bean products, i.e tofu & etc, or the medicine I'm taking after undergoing angioplasty last year. It was in hiatus for the past 2 years.

Bought from Pharmacy
1. Devils claw
2. Milk thistle & Dandelion (combination)
3. Celery
4. Cod liver oil
5. Drink at least 1.5 liter of water as this is the medium in the form of urine that enables the herbs to do their magic to flush out the uric acid from the body.

With a high consumption of uric acid causing foods and drinks, I had to resort to the dosage as indicated below:-

Dosage:
1. During attack
a) 3 tabs each (item 1, 2, 3 & 4) x 3 times per day (on 1st day of attack)
b) For me, the 3 tabs x 3x per day is sufficient to diminish the pain/swell to a mere 5~15%, but can still take another 1~2x, if still required. Then stop taking any more.

2. Maintenance
a) Depending on a person's ability to accumulate uric acid, 1~2 tab x
1~3x per week for 2 weeks.

Important Note: Do not continue to take the herbs continuously, if the attack
had subsided completely Take them as and when required.

I've been eating food and drinking beverages (beer, wine & etc.) that's known to cause gout attacks until after my angioplasty in October 2009, but yet after avoiding these gout causing food and drinks, I'm again getting gout.

Sometime last month, I experienced that 'gouty feeling' on my left knee, but choose to ignore it as it was ever so slight. However, at 3.00am that morning that 'gouty feeling' had reached an intensity of at least 60% of full blown. Can still lift & bend the knee as the pain was still bearable. Took a dose (items 1~4, but only half a glass of water as it was 3.00am). Started drinking extra water the next morning and by about 10~11.00am, the pain/swell had completely subsided.

The next attack was about 3 weeks ago, which was on my right knee and that 'gouty feeling' came at about 11.00pm. Immediately, took a dose together with only a glass of water as I didn't want a full bladder before going to bed. Drank extra water the next morning. No more pain/swell felt.

The 3rd attack happened last week, which attacked a spot on my palm just below the 1st & 2nd finger of my right hand. Sorted it out with a single dose of the herbal combination together with many cups of water. Pain/swell subsided to 5% left. Drank more water and it completely disappeared by 10~11.00am.

Note that the dosages are lower due to the lower consumption of uric acid causing foods & drinks and all I needed for each of these 3 attacks was a single dose of the herbal combination to flush out the uric acid to a level where the pain/swell had completely subsided.

Did not need to take any maintenance dosage.

Hope this info helps.

M's sister

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:47 pm 
Researching and found these

www.dietaryfiberfood.com/purine-food.php
I wonder what garbano milk tastes like?

www.acumedico.com/purine.htm

Quote:
"Soybeans also contain moderate amounts of a natural substance called purine. Consuming large amounts of purines can make gout worse. Persons with gout should not eat a lot of soy products."
Source: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007204.htm

Almond milk is looking good for gout-sufferers that can't tolerate lactase (after looking at the 2nd link).

daveosac

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 pm 
Soy Milk and gout

I have also found that I was flair up free for months until I started having cereal with soy milk. I didn't realize soy could be the problem . I actully thought it was good for me until reading about many others who experienced the same thing.

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:45 pm 
Re: role for critical thinking

Monkeyman wrote:
Now i am not an eater of soy but i respect people's attempt at being healthy in today's especially unhealthy world. However, i have recently received a particularly disturbing e-mail telling me of the effects that soya has on people. Do you kno that consuming as little as 35grams of soya a day has been proven to cause thyroid malfunctioning? Because it emulates hormones it has been known to cause thyroid cancer as well as breast cancer.

I suspect walking could be expected to result in people being run over by cars, but do we dispel its benefits. Look at the context. There is a lot of bad science around, and use your critical judgement. The Japanese tend to have a high soy diet and low cancer. Maybe the low fat offsets the bad aspects of low fat. I'm not a professional in this field...I am just suggesting good thinking habits. There is a lot of bad science around.

prof

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:41 pm 
soya products

Rob wrote:
Hi Monkeyman, please do not post same message in all topics!

Quote:
Soya is actually a toxic by-product of the vegetable oil industry.

This is not correct! Soya has been used for thousands of years. Only recently has soya been used to extract the oil. Soy milk, tofu, tempeh and whole soybeans are no by-products.

There is a lot of anti-soya madness on the internet. If soya is that dangerous why do health authorities allow it? Soy is not dangerous! To the contrary, it contains many health promoting phytochemicals.

Unfortunatly these phytochemicals include phytoestrogens, which mimic oestrogen and also are known to destroy the immune system of baby mice. True it has been used for 1000s of years but the ancient knowledge has been lost until recently. It was used as a crop to replenish the soil(it fixes nitrogen) it was never meant to be eaten! When it was discovered that you could ferment it the chinese forgot that it should not be consumed. Feeding a baby on formula with soya in it can be the equivalent of giving your baby 5 birth control pills every day. I am sorry for the soya fans but the health benefits are heavily outweighed by the dangers!

Erik

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:54 pm 

Soy does not contain chemicals from birth control pills. Administration of pure isoflavones to animals causes decreased fertility, but clinically relevant adverse effects of soy infant formula in infants are not reported (1). The Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center is conducting a prospective longitudinal study comparing growth, development, and health of breastfed children with formula-fed children from birth through age 6 y. After 5 y of study, children in all 3 groups are growing and developing within normal limits, and there are no indications of adverse effects in the soy-fed children (2).

(1) Soy infant formula: is it that bad? Acta Paediatr. 2011 Feb;100(2):162-6.
(2) The health implications of soy infant formula. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 May;89(5):1668S-1672S.

lactose free

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm 
milk alternative

go with Almond milk -- definitely the best alternative to regular milk and soy milk -- plus it's less fattening. icon_biggrin.gif

TG

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:01 pm 
Re: Soy Milk and gout

I also Have found that using Soya Milk will bring on a gout attack. I have found that either oat milk or rice milk to be a good alternative

beckyperkins55@yahoo.com

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:25 pm 
GOUT & SOY OIL

I have been taking dark cherry pills from the health food store as well as celery seed for my gout. I would like to add the cranberry pills to my vitamin list but read that these contain Soybean Oil and <2% of Soy Lecithin.
Question: Should I avoid these pills because of the Soybean Oil and Soy Lecithin and the effect they may have on my gout?

Soya.be Forum Index -> Joint problems  
Page 1 of 1

Soy messages - About Soya.be - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy - Copyright 2012 Soya.be